Bridging the gap for Cleveland's bicyclists and pedestrians

Pedestrian promenades, bike lanes on the Detroit-Superior Bridge to offer a scenic connection to downtown

The Detroit-Superior Bridge projectconverting one of the outer traffic lanes into a "suspended park" with a wide pedestrian promenade, sheltered seating, bike lanes and racks, and public art with the theme of measurements (a sun dial, seismograph, etc.)received the approval of the Cleveland Planning Commission on September 9, 2002 and final approval from Cuyahoga County commissioners in July, 2003.

The Detroit-Superior Bridge project will cost approximately $2.7 millionwith 80 percent of the construction cost funded by federal Transportation Enhancement program funds (distributed by the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency). The City of Cleveland paid for the remaining 20 percent of construction costs. The design portion was paid for by a grant from The Gund and Cleveland foundations to Cleveland Public Art, which is integrating the design aspects of the project. Construction is slated to begin in early 2004.

EcoCity Cleveland's transportation manager Ryan McKenzie served as a consultant, leading the process of research and design of pedestrian, bicycle and transit amenities.

In the presentation to the planning commission, the following project objectives were stated:

Enhance quality of life standards for the residents of our city by...

  • Balancing the needs of vehicular and pedestrian transportation
  • Creating an intermodal link between Downtown and Ohio City
  • Promoting the bicycle as a form of urban commuting
  • Creating a memorable place while utilizing the historic bridge
  • Enhancing the pedestrian scale lighting for security and character
  • Integrating public art to animate the pedestrian experience
  • Exposing panoramic views of the city, river, and lake

The purpose of the proposed project is to:

  • Improve overall safety of pedestrians, bicycle users, and motorists across the Detroit-Superior Bridge (CUY-6-14.99) and the adjoining intersections at West 25th St. and West 9th St.
  • Improve joint use pedestrian and vehicular facilities at the west end of bridge for the West 25 St. and SR 2 Ramp intersections.
  • Improve the safety and operation of the traffic signals at SR 2 and West 25th St.
  • Provide pedestrian and bicycle safety and education activities.
  • Enhance the landscape and promote scenic beautification.
  • Promote historic preservation and archaeological planning.
  • Provide a critical link in the City of Clevelands Master Plan Bikeway System.
  • Reduce the number of traffic accidents within the roadway, adjacent intersections, and bridge components of the transportation system.
  • Provide a better physical and symbolic connection between Clevelands West Side and Downtown Cleveland.
  • Enhance the Detroit Superior Bridge as part of the Canal Way Ohio Scenic Byway.
  • Better utilize available traffic capacity and provide roadway improvements.
  • Enhance the quality of life in the project area.

The project's sponsors are the City of Cleveland, City Planning Commission, Cleveland Public Art, County Engineer – Robert Klaiber’s Office, EcoCity Cleveland, and ParkWorks. The design team is City Architecture, Don Harvey, Parsons Brinckerhoff, and Cleveland Public Art.

Back to top

EcoCity Cleveland
3500 Lorain Avenue, Suite 301, Cleveland OH 44113
Cuyahoga Bioregion
(216) 961-5020
www.ecocitycleveland.org
Copyright 2002-2003

Back to main Bicycles


View from Detroit-Superior Bridge heading east. The sidewalk and traffic lane on one side of the bridge will be converted into a new pedestrian promenade.


The new promenade will have a more transparent fence and amenities like a wider sidewalk, bike lane, sheltered seating, classic lamp posts and inventive public art measuring environmental conditions like wind and sun.

go to home page

Related Links:

Togel178

Pedetogel

Sabatoto

Togel279

Togel158

Colok178

Novaslot88

Lain - lain

Partner Links