The following groups can provide more information on ecovillage thought and practice.
- Center for Neighborhood Development, Cleveland State University College of Urban Affairs.
- Cleveland Neighborhood Development Corporation
- Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization
- EcoCity Cleveland
- Environmental Health Watch
- The HouseMender, Inc., PO Box 1135, Cleveland, OH 44120, (216) 991-1088.
- Oberlin College Environmental Studies Program
- Green Energy Ohio
- Enright Ridge Eco-VillageCincinnati EcoVillage
- Price Hill Will EcoVillageCincinnati EcoVillage
- Los Angeles Eco-Village
- Adamaha grassroots organization working on the Detroit EcoVillage
- Shaw EcoVillage (Washington, D.C.)
Organizations beyond Northeast Ohio
- Ananda Village
- Aquarian Concepts
- Austin Green Building Program
- Barking Frogs Permaculture Center
- Birdsfoot Farm (call 315-386-4852)
- Camphill Special School
- Center for Livable Communities of the Local Government Commission
- Center for Maximum Potential Building Systems
- Center for Neighborhood Technology
- Center for Renewable Energy and Sustainable Technology (CREST)
- Center For Resourceful Building Technology
- Chacra Millalen
- Christine Center
- Crystal Waters Permaculture Village
- Cohousing Network
- Congress for the New Urbanism
- Context Institute
- Dancing Rabbit, a rural ecovillage in progress in northeast Missouri.
- Development Center for Appropriate Technology
- Earthart Village
- Earth Connection, 370 Neeb Rd., Cincinnati, OH 45233, (513) 451-3932.
- East Wind Community (call 417-679-4682)
- Ecocity Builders
- EcoDesign Resource Society
- EcoHome Network
- Ecological Design Institute
- EcoVillage at Ithaca
- Ecovillage Network of the Americas
- Ecovillage Network of Canada
- Educating Architects for a Sustainable Environment Project, Ball State University
- EG2 Center
- Energy Efficient Building Association
- The Farm
- The Findhorn Foundation
- Ganas and Grow II (call 718-720-5378)
- Global EcoVillage Network
- Green Design Network
- The Hermitage at Mahantongo Spirit Garden
- High Wind Association (call 920-528-8488)
- Humanity Rising (call 530-899-7719)
- Infinite StarLight Offering Visionary Ecovillages (call 831-425-3334)
- Institute for Local Self-Reliance
- Intentional Communitites
- Inter-cooperative Council at University of Michigan (call 734-662-4415)
- International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI)
- Joint Center for Sustainable Communities (National Association of Counties and the United States Conference of Mayors).
- Kalani Community
- Local Sustainability, the European Good Practice Information Service
- Lofstedt Farm Community (call 250-353-7167)
- Lost Valley Educational Center
- Maison Emmanuel (call 819-322-7014)
- Moonshadow (call 423-949-5922)
- Mount Madonna Center
- Ohio Office of Energy Efficiency, Department of Development
- Ojai Foundation
- O.U.R. EcoVillage (call 250-743-3067)
- Pennine Camphill Community
- Planet Drum Foundation Green City Program
- Rocky Mountain Institute
- Rowe Camp & Conference Center
- Sacred Mountain Ranch
- Shared Living Resource Center
- Sirius Community
- Sivananda Ashram Yoga Ranch
- Slippery Rock University
- Smart Growth Network
- Southwest Sufi Community (call 530-478-5855)
- Surface Transportation Policy Project
- Sustainable Communities Network
- Sustainable Sources Environmental Web site
- Tamera Centre for Humane Ecology
- Transportation for Livable Communities Network
- Trillium Community (call 541-899-1696)
- Trust for Sustainable Development
- Twin Oaks Community
- United Nations Centre for Human Settlements
- U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, and Center of Excellence for Sustainable Development
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Sustainable Ecosytems and Communities
- U.S. Green Building Council
- Urban Ecology
- Urban Ecology Australia
- Village of Harmony (contact: [email protected])
- Wygelia (call 301-831-8280)
Blueprint for a Sustainable Bay Area by Urban Ecology, 1996.
Community Energy Workbook by Alice Hubbard and Clay Fong, Rocky Mountain Institute, 1995.
The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs, Vintage Press, 1961.
Eco-City Dimensions: Healthy Communities, Healthy Planet edited by Mark Roseland, New Society Publishers, 1997.
Ecocity Berkeley by Richard Register, North Atlantic Books, 1987.
Ecological Design by Sim Van Der Ryn and Stuart Cowan, Island Press, 1996.
Eco-Villages and Sustainable Communities edited by Diane Gilman and Richard Gilman, Context Institute, 1991.
Environmental Building News monthly newsletter, 28 Birge St., Brattleboro, VT 05301 (802-257-7300 or www.ebuild.com). EBN also offers the E Build Library on searchable CD-ROM, which includes comprehensive lists of green building products and resources, as well as back issues of the Environmental Building News newsletter.
Futures by Design: The Practice of Ecological Planning edited by Doug Aberley, New Society Publishers, 1996.
The Granite Garden: Urban Nature and Human Design by Anne Whiston Spirn, Basic Books, 1984.
The Greater Cleveland Environment Book: Caring for Home and Bioregion by David Beach, EcoCity Cleveland, 1998.
A Green City Program for San Francisco Bay Area Cities and Towns by Peter Berg, et al, Planet Drum Books, 1989.
Green Development: Integrating Ecology and Real Estate by the Rocky Mountain Institute, John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
Greening Cities: Building Just and Sustainable Communities by Joan Roelofs, The Bootstrap Press, 1996.
The Neighborhood Works newsletter by the Center for Neighborhood Technology, 2115 W. North Ave., Chicago, IL 60647, (773) 278-4800.
The New Urbanism by Peter Katz, McGraw-Hill, 1994.
Our Ecological Footprint: Reducing Human Impact on the Earth by Mathis Wackernagel and William Rees, New Society Publishers, 1996.
Primer on Sustainable Building by Rocky Mountain Institute, 1995.
Rebuilding Community in America: Housing for Ecological Living, Personal Empowerment and the New Extended Family by Ken Norwood and Kathleen Smith, Shared Living Resource Center, 1997.
Reclaiming Our Cities and Towns: Better Living with Less Traffic by David Engwicht, New Society Publishers, 1993.
Regenerative Design for Sustainable Development by John Lyle, John Wiley & Sons, 1994.
Toward Sustainable Communities: A Resource Book for Municipal and Local Governments by Mark Roseland, New Society Publishers, 1977.
Urban Ecologist newsletter by Urban Ecology, 405 14th St., Suite 900, Oakland, CA 94612, (510) 251-6330.
Village Wisdom: Future Cities edited by Richard Register and Brady Peeks, Ecocity Builders, 1997.
The Wealth of Cities: Revitalizing the Centers of American Life by John Norquist, Addison-Wesley, 1998.
"Down a green path: An alternative vision for a section of east Detroit takes shape."
Back to main EcoVillage